Friday, May 30, 2008

First pants attempts....

As previously mentioned, I had to find a new pants pattern for Thing 1. This was very traumatic for me, and so I decided to test the new pattern with a fun fabric, mainly because I thought this fabric would do better without pockets. (And pockets take a little more time, so...) I would say that the verdict is mostly positive. DH thinks that these look fine - I'll try to get a picture tomorrow of them in use. But I'm not sure whether I need to take out a smidge of leg width. So I guess my next attempt will be to adapt them for pockets and make the next trial. And Thing 2 is ready for some bigger pants. I haven't made him any side-seam pants yet because the KS SFB book only contains a knit (no side-seam) pants pattern. But I remembered that when I made a size T1 pair of pants for a friend's child at Christmas, it seemed to fit Thing 1 fairly well. So I decided to try it, too. (And I was annoyed because I couldn't find my T1 tracing and had to redo it.) These fit pretty well - and Thing 2 is nearly 2 - except for Thing 2's enormous potbelly. It would probably be perfect if I took out some of the front rise so that these fit a little better under his belly. But I'm not going to just yet.
Next up: another pair for each, using a mostly shark print in the same type of fabric. Then I also have plans to compare knit pants from KS SFB and KS SFT for Thing 2. After that, probably more new pants for Thing 1 and DH's Hawaiian shirt....

No comments: