Thursday, April 1, 2021

Star Wars Easter

I bought this Star Wars Easter fabric on clearance a few years ago. And there it sat. For some reason, it popped into my mind the other night, and then the race was on. I had three yards, so I briefly thought about making a Madison dress. But I also wanted to make darn sure that it would reach my niece before Easter, so that was out. (Also, I'm not sure if I had anything to coordinate, so....oh, well.)

Instead, I reached for the trusty skirt pattern. Or at least skirt pattern inspiration. I cut this out Tuesday afternoon/evening, stitched it completely before going to bed Tuesday night, and mailed it Wednesday morning.


The main skirt piece was cut 20.5 inches long (because that's the size of my biggest square ruler) by WOF. The ruffle piece is 7 inches by WOF. I made the ruffle a double one so that there would be no hemming. 

It's a little busy, but I'm thinking she's going to like it. I didn't have time to make a matching doll skirt, but that can come later.....


 

Saturday, March 27, 2021

Matching Scrub Cap and Mask

I pushed to finish two last projects before sending off my buddy's box. I have made her scrub caps in the past, but from a different pattern (M4116, view G IIRC). I figured it was worth trying a new one (that wouldn't take as long) since she has much shorter hair now. If she likes it, I'll make more in the future. This is the Hummingbird pattern from Miss Muffet.

And then the mask is my standard pleated mask pattern.


 

Here's hoping she likes them!!!

Friday, March 19, 2021

New scrub shirt for my buddy!

My buddy's birthday is coming up, and I'm still slowly filling her Christmas/birthday box. I bought this fabric for her back in 2016 (yeah, I'm already beating myself up about waiting so long), so it was well past time. This is one of the projects I cut during quarantine, then didn't finish for a long time. But here I am. I'm still easily exhausted, so instead of being a one-night project, it was spread out over four nights.  But now it's done and ready!

This is McCall 9123, my standard scrub shirt pattern for years. I used Kaddidlehopper's tutorial for binding the neckline. And I left off the lower pockets (she doesn't use them) but made an excellently pattern-matched upper chest pocket. No, really - you can't see it until you blow up the pic and look for the stitching lines! I'm so proud.....

I have hopes of getting a matching mask and possibly scrub cap out of this - we'll see if I can get that done this weekend, because the box needs to go out next week!


 

Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Current Portable Project

Thing 2 plays inline hockey, and he's a popular player (goaltender). Which means a lot of games played, which means a lot of time at the rink for me. I don't sit still well, so I always need a portable project. 

On a whim, I pulled this one out. I had kitted it up at least a year ago, and I'm guessing I bought the pattern 2-3 years ago. It was from DigiPoint on Etsy (no longer available). And I am having a blast! I did half cross stitches for all the black - to outline everything and make it easier to just fill it in. Now I'm going one color at a time. I'll cross all the black stitches last.


 

Sunday, March 7, 2021

More lounge pants for Thing 1!

Thing 1 really got into wearing his lounge pants that I made him previously - the (retrofitted) gamer pair and the sea turtles pair. Once school became virtual, you would often see him wearing these preferentially, until I had to wash them. So of course, when JAF had a sale on flannel, I had to make more! 

I did involve him in the fabric choice. First up, "psychedelic kaleidoscope blue" flannel. And yes, it's a bit crazy. I didn't try to match the color patterns, and maybe I should have. On the other hand, this is definitely psychedelic.  These are both S8022, size adult L, with pockets added as per my yoga pants, but lengthened and changed in position as per his request after wearing the first pair.




You can see that the pocket really blends in on this side.



It stands out a little more on this side.



And then we have geometric sharks! I kind of love these.



No attempt to match up the pockets, and no need.





 

Monday, February 22, 2021

Back to the lightweight PJs!

Back when I made the requested lightweight pair of PJ pants for my mother, using a microfiber sheet set from Target, I had asked my SIL if my niece would like matching PJs. This was a terrible idea, because I hadn't yet done anything but cut the PJ pants. (Though I should've known better just from that!) This is fabric from hell. It looks super cute, but it frays like nobody's business and just generally misbehaves. I have hated almost every minute working with it.

This is the usual KS 213 pattern, but minus any ribbon trim because the fabric was just awful. I finished up other projects and then ran across this - cut and pinned but not a stitch in it - while cleaning up some piles. Sigh.....time to whip it up while the serger was in a behaving mood.


 Hopefully she loves them!

Saturday, February 20, 2021

More Hockey PJ Pants!

Thing 2 loves PJ pants almost as much as he loves hockey. He's constantly changing into PJ pants to lounge around the house after school. And he does have plenty of pairs, thanks mostly to his mama. But when I saw this hockey flannel on doorbuster sale at JAF, I knew he needed to have it. This is the trusty S8022, in teen/adult size XS for more growth room. I'm planning to throw it into the gift stash and have it ready to pull out for his birthday.