Monday, December 23, 2019

Finally....the Star Wars Cardigan

The Star Wars cardigan that has been mentioned but never before pictured!


The fabric was a JAF purchase - on sale, naturally. The pattern is the Cocoon Cardigan, from Patterns for Pirates. I sewed this for a wedding held on May the Fourth. (May the Fourth be with you?) This is tunic length with three-quarter sleeves and short bands. I wasn't going to add the patch pockets - I was under deadline - but pockets are life! So I took the extra time and was really glad I did!

The pattern doesn't call for stabilizing the shoulder seams, but I was concerned about growth because of how stretchy the fabric is. So I cut strips of rib knit against the grain and used that to stabilize the shoulders. I did the same just behind the topstitching to anchor the pockets in place, then I cut them away near the stitching. It adds virtually no bulk but helps give more strength to the pocket attachment. And I added short "cuffs" instead of hemming the sleeves.

I plan to make more - I have two fabrics waiting for time. One is another Star Wars knit, and another is a Christmas paw print knit.....maybe I'll get that one sewn up over the holidays!

No comments: