Thursday, April 16, 2020

Lots More Face Masks! (Pleated ones)

 I've been kind of on a roll here, making masks for friends and family who need/want them. I wish I could find where I got this tutorial, but I have no idea. However, there are plenty out there. This is a two-layer pattern with a pocket to insert a filter of choice. The original pattern called for elastic loops, but I am low on elastic and changed it to ties. In some of these, I use grosgrain ribbon. In others, twill tape. Just depended on what I had and what went with it.

The top (banana) mask is a size large. The others are small. All are for friends/colleagues.


Both of these two are for me, to wear during surgery and extend the life of my surgical paper mask. I found that with the size small, it was difficult to carefully insert the surgery mask into the pocket - just not *quite* big enough. So I wore the fabric mask over the paper one, in case of any....mishaps.


These are both size small, for colleagues.


This is a size large, for a family member. The size large is the same height as the small, but it adds about an inch of width for more coverage.


And here you can see the pocket.


There's also a spot to sew in a nosewire. I used pipe cleaners folded on themselves and twisted together while I wait for my wire to come in. And after the first few, I decided to sew the channel open-ended, to allow for removal for washing or to replace it as needed. I think that might be a better idea, especially when using pipe cleaners.

No comments: