Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Some dog accessories

A friend is adopting a little dog for her daughter for Christmas. (I arranged the match!) She planned to put a big Christmas bow on the collar on Christmas day to give to her daughter, then asked if I could make her a bow. Well.....I decided to give it a whirl.

Because I've been using the Made for Mermaids Madison pattern lately for my niece's twirly dress, I happened to notice that there are instructions at the end for making an optional fabric bow. I decided to see how that went!

I didn't have any plain red fabric or enough of the red snowflake fabric in my stash, but I ran across this peppermint fabric. I used it a few years ago to make my niece a skirt at Christmas, but apparently I never blogged it. Anyway, I think it turned out super cute!


Originally I was making the "collar" for the bow and planning to attach them together as specified in the Made for Mermaids  Layered Bow Tie Tutorial, and then I thought it'd be a great idea to make a bow tie, as well, but to make them interchangeable. Because, honestly, how often is this dog going to need to wear a giant bow that's as big as he is??? So I used sparkly gingerbread fabric from a prior twirly skirt for my niece to make the bow tie part, then made the center with peppermint to tie them together. And instead of sewing the whole thing on to the collar, I put a snap on both the bow and the bow tie and the opposite snap on the collar. Now either piece can snap on!

Definitely going to do this again!

No comments: