So this blanket begins with a story. Once upon a time, long long ago (we're talking 14-15 years ago), I started a random baby afghan. Normal baby colors and all. This is the "Lollipops" pattern, created by Diana Sippel of Diana Lynn's Designs, and was found in the book Afghan Splendor, put out by The Needlecraft Shop.
I finished all the "lollipop" strips and started adding the white edging, and then I either lost interest or ran out of time or something. No idea. But I put the pieces into a plastic bag and stuffed it into a box of UFOs. Somehow this passed the purge test when I got rid of a lot of yarn UFOs on freecycle six years ago before our move. I think at the time I thought I'd finish it for a baby gift? At any rate, Thing 2 dumped out the UFOs to take the box last year around this time, and I needed a mindless project for a day-long CE meeting. So the stars aligned, and I got to work on finishing the afghan. I did run into some trouble, as it was not wide enough, and I wanted to add another strip (or two? I don't remember now). But I couldn't match the blue I'd used - apparently Red Heart discontinued it at some point. That started a frantic search, and I ultimately matched it to a blue in a baby yarn (that really seemed worsted weight) in another brand, and I finished the afghan, with no idea who it would go to. Then a month ago, I gave it to an expecting colleague - who just happened to be sitting next to me when I had worked on it last year. Full circle, eh?
After all that, I sadly have to say that apparently I never took a picture. Oh, well...but it did spawn an interesting next project. So the pattern calls for 5 colors, and you make 4 repeats in each strip. Finished size should be 30x38". I had used 6 colors and 3 repeats in my baby version, and I don't think I ever measured it. Anyway, I was in the fabric store, looking at yarn one day. And I had had a bad day at work and just wanted some color therapy. And I was drawn to the Red Heart blacklight yarn. So I painstakingly picked out the five main colors that were in it, and I bought those and black to make myself an afghan. I thought it would be neat to do the lollipops a little bigger for a grownup sized afghan. And then I decided to rotate the strips so that the colors went diagonally across the afghan instead of straight across. Ultimately it ended up almost the size of the top of my queen-sized mattress. The Husband thinks it's weird that it's black, but I love it!
Ultimately, this is a great portable project, because it is fairly mindless in each phase and easy to remember what to do. Also, until you're putting the strips together, everything is small and easily carried. Worked out great for what I needed! I have also since made a smaller, baby-sized version of the black light afghan - no pic yet, but it's for a friend who loves the colors and is hoping for a baby.