Tuesday, June 24, 2008
I've also been steadily working on the cut pile, and I should have pictures tomorrow, I think. So far, I've finished two pairs of pants (one woven, one knit - both from KS Sewing for Toddlers) for Thing 2 ; one pair of shorts (KS Sewing for Chidlren), one pair of pants (KS 3042), and two pairs of PJ pants (one flannel - KS SFC, one knit - KS 2275) for Thing 1; and two pairs of shorts (KS SFT) for a friend's boy. I also finished two pairs of slippers (GP Polar slippers). I still have a pair each of knit shorts and pants (KS SFT) for Thing 2, a flannel PJ shirt (KS 3042) and a knit PJ shirt (KS 3043) for Thing 1, and five pairs of slippers. Which leads me to the next "argh."
The knit PJ shirt for Thing 1 is done except for hems. It's also a new pattern to me. So I sewed the size that seemed appropriate to test it out. It worked okay, except that Thing 1 couldn't get it over his head - oops! So I ripped out the neckband (I'd used unwashed self-fabric instead of ribbing) and cut a new one, this one longer and more narrow. Since my fabric has little stretch, I ended up using a neckband that was equal in length to the neckline. I'm hoping that it will shrink at least a little when I wash the shirt, but even if it doesn't, it'll work for a PJ shirt. I'll just plan to adjust the neckband next time.
Sunday, June 22, 2008
First, I kept getting interrupted by people calling. Well, actually, first I kept procrastinating and doing other stuff, and second, I got interrupted. Then I had major technical difficulties. Don't know if it was the leather, the thread, the needle, or all around bad sewing mojo. But I finally gave up. I had run out of the gold jeanstitch thread after stitching down the casings on the heels, so I switched to the cream upholstery thread I have. Got the trim and the toe guards stitched down, then started to stitch the uppers to the soles. I have one down and still probably a third of the other to go, but that's where the majorly bad mojo occurred. And I was getting awfully low on the upholstery thread, too. Oh, yeah, and I went through three leather needles, trying to rescue the attempt that way. No such luck.
So today I bought more jeanstitch and upholstery thread at WM while grocery shopping (along with a neat variegated green that I hope will be showing up on some green "disco" pants soon), but WM does not carry leather needles. Oh, darn, I have to go to JAF again....where I was good and walked out with the leather needles and three colors of heavy polyester thread. I keep hearing that polyester thread is best for shoes, since cotton will wick, but I've never looked closely enough to realize that the only kind of polyester only thread JAF carries is the "heavy dual-duty XP" thread. So I'll see how that works...maybe on the denim pair. Oh yeah, and I'm also planning to put a Thomas the Tank Engine applique on the denim pair. We'll see how that goes....hopefully later this afternoon....
Friday, June 20, 2008
I went to the fabric store last night. Joann is having a sale - snuggle flannel prints and cozy flannel solids were both $2.49 a yard, and red tag clearance fabric was 50% off. I needed more fabric like a hole in my head, but hey! I had to at least look, right? :) So I came home with 12.25 yards. Oops! Guess I'd better keep on sewing. I'm now almost forty yards past parity. Not good. In my defense, I got 6 yards to make two new blankets for the Things, and about 4 yards are for scrub shirts - at least one of which will be a gift.
And now, in addition to the current "in progress" pile, I need to cut out another new pair of shoes for Thing 2. I think he drags his toes sometimes when he walks, because he's got major fraying going on in his shoes. This time, I'm going to add toe guards! And I think the next pair will be leather, too.
Monday, June 16, 2008
This probably took all of half an hour tonight. I traced the letters (backward) onto the wrong side of Heat-n-Bond, then fused that block to the back of some fabric I took from a pair of Thing 1's pants. (They had gotten a hole in the knee last fall, and I hadn't repaired them. Now that he's grown, I thought it made more sense to cut them off and remake them as shorts.) I then cut them out and fused the (right way) onto a towel that I found in my sewing supplies. (I think I had bought this to make more hooded towels, but it hadn't been used yet.) Then I satin-stitched around the edges. By the way, this towel is actually navy blue, and the stitching is a bright green.
I'm pretty happy with how this turned out, and I know that it won't disappear. :)