So back in December of 2007, I made a Jeff Gordon scrub shirt for one of my techs - someone who looooves NASCAR and Jeff Gordon in particular. And she dearly loved it, and I saw it in frequent rotation. Then last September, I was in town for a conference, and I happened to see her still wearing it! And, oh, how ratty it was looking! I suggested it was time for retirement, and I was told that she couldn't retire it, because she couldn't get a replacement. (Apparently they don't make NASCAR scrubs?) And the tech beside her helpfully told me that she wears it every Friday, and that she tells everyone that I made it for her. Gulp. Did I mention it looks really ratty now? So, as one can imagine, I got onto the internet that night and looked for some new Jeff Gordon fabric. And it arrived less than a week later, got prewashed, and there it sat.
Until now. Since I was pulling out the scrub shirt pattern for my mom, I decided to cut out a couple of other ones. This was first on my list - no occasion, really. I just wanted it done and out the door so she will hopefully burn the old one. :) I put in the lower pockets but left off the upper one. I'm really happy with how it looks, and I hope that she will be over the moon to get a surprise replacement.
Last July, I was in need of some retail therapy, and so of course I went to the fabric store. With grand intentions of sewing some new scrubs for myself, I bought two prints for tops and three solids for bottoms. And there it has stalled....until now. I chose this for the first top to stitch up for myself, simply because I could use black serger thread on both this and the Jeff Gordon top. I left off the lower pockets but put in the upper pocket, to hold a pen. And I didn't bother pattern-matching, because it is such a busy print. Think I'm going to have some fun wearing this one!
Now let's see how long it'll take me to work on the others....