Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Library Book Bags

So way back before we moved to this area, I bought three different Dr. Seuss fabrics, with intent of making book bags for each of us to take to/from the library.  And I kept saying that I needed to do it, and I kept putting it off to do more urgent projects.  Well, I finally got tired of having to search for library books, and I decided that maybe if I made the darn bags, they could also be used to corral said books.  (I hope.)  But by now, we decided that Dr. Seuss really didn't suit my sons as well as it used to.  And more importantly, I have this growing ribbon stash. :)

So I took brown duck cloth from my stash, and I bought tonal prints in each of our favorite colors to use for the straps/lining.  (And then, just because, I went ahead and cut one from the Cat in the Hat fabric, too....It may become a craft project bag.)  We have a green fan and an orange fan in the house, and mine (not yet finished) is blue.  Thing 1 chose a Mario ribbon to go with his green, and Thing 2 chose a Lego Star Wars ribbon, which actually looks pretty good against the orange.

I made these to the same specifications as the teacher tote bags, except that I put a pocket on each side instead of on only one side.  And I added two snaps to close one of the pockets - with the intent of keeping library cards inside.  The ribbon was stitched down under the trim at the top of the pockets, and also around the top of the bag.  I really love how these turned out, and my boys are very happy with them!  (And I can't wait to finish mine - I used Calvin and Hobbes ribbon!)


No comments: