Friday, December 29, 2017

Back to regular sewing - PJ edition

So I got motivated to sew new PJs for me.  Partly because I only have a few pairs of PJ shorts.  (Yeah, I know, it's December.  Let's remember I'm not particularly consistent with blogging.)  I knew I'd made a few pairs back in the past, but I couldn't remember what pattern I used most recently that I liked.  (Computer accident - files got deleted, sob.)  So I took the two patterns I had traced out already and tested them.  The "Woof Woof" flannel is M5504, and the bugs flannel is M3006 - my TNT PJ pants pattern turned into shorts, apparently.  (I'm pretty sure that I must have deliberately traced it as shorts, but I don't remember doing so.)  I took an inch out of both at CF, tapering to nothing at the side seams.  And while they both fit reasonably, I decided that I liked the M3006 better, so that will be used going forward.


Then I made a new pair of PJ pants - M3006, of course! - for ME - also taking one inch out at CF and tapering to nothing at the sides.  This was my test (of that modification) before cutting into the Wonder Woman flannel that I bought. ;)  I can't wait!

And the folded pair is a Christmas gift for my good friend who loves plaid and fishing.  It was perfect when I found the print at JAF.  Her's is also M3006, but she has to insert the elastic when she gets it.


Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Cross stitch finishes

So some of these have been seen already, but not once totally finished.

The poop emoji stitch was put into a wooden hoop that I painted myself.  Yep, looked for something that resembled "poop brown."  She loved it!


This is a frame from IKEA that fortunately was the perfect size and included a mat.  If I'd been thinking ahead, I might have looked for a mat in pink, but....nah....


This was my favorite.  I went looking at IKEA for frames, but didn't really see any the perfect size.  Well, I take that back.  I found one with a silver frame and white mat, but I wasn't sure how that would be with the oatmeal fabric.  So instead I decided to do the painted hoop finish.  And I'm really happy with how it turned out! 


I looked up how best to frame in a hoop and found this website.  (Used it for the poop emoji, too, but didn't have time/inclination to get felt for the back.)  I was skeptical that the felt would do much, because the fabric was sticking out a fair bit once gathered.  But I was impressed with how much it compressed the bulk without really any effort.  This went over very well, and I'm already planning to use it again.