Saturday, April 13, 2013

Easy gifts (like for teachers!)

Apparently I only blogged about these in passing this past Christmas, but with the end of school approaching, it might be a good idea to revisit them.  I made a bunch of key fobs as teacher gifts this year.  Well, and for friends and family, too, but the main impetus was for teacher gifts.  Most of the online tutorials I saw were for ribbon and webbing, but I used Sew4Home's tutorial, as I wanted to use just fabric.  The teacher key fobs were all made from fabric specifically bought for this purpose, and then the other key fobs used leftover fabric from other projects.  I really liked how finished these look with the piping.  They were easy to do, fairly cheap, and fairly quick.  And now the recipients won't have an easy time losing their keys!


Hanging towels have been a mainstay for me for the last couple of years.  I haven't blogged about them much, but believe me, I have made a crap-ton of them!  Just before Christmas, I stitched up seventy-plus towels - yikes!  But what can I say?  They're easy, fairly quick, not terribly expensive, easily personalized, and so totally useful!  In other words, the perfect gift!  Two Christmases ago, I gave all the teachers two hanging towels in their Christmas gifts.  This past year, I gave them to the new teachers on our list.  And about a month ago, the assistant principal at the school caught me (at parent-teacher conferences, amusingly enough!) to ask if I'd be willing to make her some more.  It seems that she highly values her hanging towels and wanted some more for her house. Of course, I agreed.  So here are the latest hanging towels to come out of my sewing room.  I love making them assembly-line style - in a couple of days (well, ONE day if you don't waste a lot of time!), you can get through a ton of towels and then have a bunch around for future gifting needs.  Hmmm....maybe I should double-check my current gifting stash....


No comments: