Sunday, May 20, 2012

A little gift sewing....

Thing 1 had a birthday party to attend a few weeks ago, and his friend loves lizards!  We looked in vain for some sort of a stuffed lizard for him, and then Thing 1 thought that a pillowcase would be fine.  Then we searched in vain in the fabric stores for a suitable fabric - I know I've seen cute lizard fabric in the not too distant past! - and came home to find the perfect flannel print and coordinating solid in my stash.  Go figure!  I made this up the night before the party, and both the boy and his mom loved it!
And one of my friends was having a birthday, and she's expressed interest in the past for using cloth grocery bags.  I know that she hasn't gotten around to making herself any, so I thought that would be a perfect gift for her birthday!  (As well as using up some of my stash....)  The outer fabric is a wine labels print that I picked up on clearance at JAF years ago.  The lining is the same fabric, but on a tan background.  I think it's pretty hilarious for grocery sacks.  Hopefully she likes them!
And I realize this one isn't sewing, but it's pretty darn cute!  Thing 1 loves penguins, so I found a penguin cake mold at Amazon.  This is the prototype for his birthday party cake.  It didn't take too long to decorate, partly thanks to the large white belly.  And it's a smaller cake - doesn't use the whole box mix.  I think I'll have two for the party.  Anyway, Thing 1 loved it!


No comments: