My friend who loves walruses has a birthday this month - she's the one who got the walrus PJ pants for Christmas. And I had the passing thought that it would be great to give her a walrus scrub shirt, but I'd never seen walrus fabric (other than that flannel). Without much hope, I gave eBay a try, and I was stunned to find ONE source of walrus print fabric! I ordered two yards (these shirts take 1.5) and was extremely happy with my find. I made this from M9123, which appears to be out of print, but there should be plenty of other basic scrub shirt patterns around to choose from. I used Kadiddlehopper's "Bound Neckline on Scrubs" tutorial again - I love how it looks! This one does not have a chest pocket - the pattern repeat is quite large, and even though I had extra fabric, I didn't have the right picture in the extra fabric. I even looked to see if I could put the pocket on the other side, but no luck. Oh, well....my friend only wears her scrub shirts in surgery, so it's not like she really needs a pocket. And I thought the print was way too large and awesome to have the jarring effect of a non-matched pocket on it.
Since I was in the scrub shirt sewing mode, I figured that it would be nice to have a new scrub shirt for myself! I had two nice prints to choose from - this and a dolphin print (that may be up next!) - but decided on this one because it matches the dark green scrub pants I recently completed (apparently I didn't blog them). This fabric has been in my stash for at least 2.5 years, maybe longer. I bought it with the intent of making a scrub shirt, though I don't remember for sure now whether I had intended it originally for me. At any rate, I thought it would be a fun change for surgery, so off I went. Details are the same as the walrus one, except that the neckline is bound with green broadcloth left over from the pants, and there is actually a chest pocket. (I barely eked a pattern-matched pocket out of my leftovers - phew! Because I wear these all day, and I definitely need a place to keep a pen.)
I'm really happy with how these turned out, and I can't wait to wear mine to surgery and hear how my friend likes hers! This kind of put me back in the mood to sew scrub shirts, so there may be more coming up soon....But right now I'm switching gears to Bible costumes. Need to stitch up some of the sheets (used for inexpensive, durable fabric) currently occupying my sewing room floor!