Thursday, February 20, 2014

Christmas stockings (yes, I know it's February....)

I have a friend with a husband and six kids, and I thought it'd be fun to make her family a new set of Christmas stockings for Christmas.  Yes, I realize we're past Christmas 2013, which is what these were intended for.  Oops - my bad.  The saving grace is that they have no idea these were coming, and they'll be plenty early for use in 2014!

I used my trusty StudioCherie Burlap Christmas Stocking pattern - minus the burlap.  (Remember, I won this pattern as a prize for participating in a PatternReview contest?  It's totally worth the $2.50 it costs - I've now used this 15 times over, and I would happily have paid for it.)  I've been collecting fabrics for this for months.  I used the same brown linen blend for the main fabric as I did for my family's stockings.  And I used different fabric prints to reflect each person's interests for the cuffs and backs.  These stockings are monogrammed, using a free font.  (I like the uppercase letters in this font, too, but I thought that lower case would be kind of cool.)  The monograms and the piping are made from the recipients' favorite colors.


And here's what the backs look like!  The Bears fabric was from my stash - I think it came from WM 5+ years ago.  The book spines and golf fabrics are from Nancy's Notions, the tennis shoes fabric is from HF, the photography fabric is from JAF, the cars fabric was from a thrift store, and the tattoo and zoo animals fabrics are from a local quilt store.


I hope that they like these and use them for years!

2 comments:

Little Hunting Creek said...

So cute! These are early, not late ;)

Kris C. said...

That's what I'm going with! And I just got feedback that the kids love their stockings. ;)