Thursday, January 22, 2015

More yarn-y goodness

First up, slippers from a different pattern!  These are for my aunt.  I thought she'd enjoy the same purple variegated yarn I used for my niece.  (Actually, I started with my aunt's, but ran into difficulty on the braided cuff - more on that later - and then used the leftovers for my niece's second pair.)  The pattern is the Knit-Look Braid Stitch Boots, from Bonita Patterns.  As I mentioned in my last blog post, I thought that the Crocodile Boots pattern was very well written.  I'm not quite as happy with this pattern - partly my issue, partly theirs.  The sole is done in such a way that it feels very flimsy - in fact, the pattern even suggests making two soles per slipper and then stitching them together!  (Yep, that's what I did.)  The sole on the other slipper pattern feels much more sturdy.  Then the instructions for the braid stitch cuff are very fiddly.  I love how it looks, but I quickly realized that I was going to lose my mind trying to make it as directed.  So instead, I adapted the cuff instructions and did it my way.  I think it turned out pretty well.


I realized that I needed another portable hand project to keep myself occupied over Christmas, so I decided to make a pair of slippers for my grandma.  I don't know her shoe size, so I had to email a cousin for a guess.  Here's hoping that they fit!


And for my mom, I was looking for a more plain slipper pattern that looked really warm.  This fit the bill.  I was guessing at size here, too, but went larger so she can wear them over socks.  This pattern was pretty mindless, once you got past the toe, and I enjoyed working it up on my lunch breaks - easy to talk and stitch!


No comments: