Wednesday, July 4, 2018

As usual.....

....I'm terrible about updating!  There's been some sewing and a lot of crocheting going on in the background, but I haven't updated the blog in six months.  Oops!

I sewed a Fourth of July outfit for my niece, with matching doll skirts.  This came about as a total impulse.  I had purchased fabric last year for two new twirly skirts, then never gotten around to them.  And I was in JAF and randomly found a patriotic tutti fruitti fabric in the clearance section, which sent me to the non-clearance section, where the sale price was actually cheaper than clearance.  That then made me look for coordinates, and I ended up with three fabrics that (mostly) went together.  (This of course also caused me to finally cut out the fabrics I previously bought, but those haven't been stitched yet.)

Since I bought these on impulse, I wasn't sure how much I'd need, which meant of course that I went back and bought another yard of the butterflies two days later.  (Plus more for another skirt....sigh....I have a problem.)  And then came the issue of my serger deciding not to do any gathering, and then my ruffler foot decided the same.  So between my ruffling issue and my fabric bought on impulse, I ended up not ruffling these *quite* as much as I might have otherwise.  (I had to hand gather the tiers.  I remember why I started using the serger, lol.)  And then, naturally, I stitched the trim onto the third tier the wrong way.  Sigh....

So after all my issues, it was sadly Sunday before I finished the outfit, which means that it did not reach my niece in time for today.  However, she'll get it tomorrow, and I'm sure a new outfit is fun even after the Fourth. ;)  In honor of the recent Solo movie, the applique on her tank top is a patriotic Millenium Falcon.  And the skirt was "based on" the Sophia Tiered Skirt from Funktional Threads.


The dolls of course need some love, as well.  These skirts are based on a free pattern, the Moo Skirt from The Sewing Geek.


Hopefully I'll be hearing in another day or two how much she likes her new outfit!

No comments: