Friday, May 15, 2020

Twirls and Lace

Since I was on a twirly roll - and also/mainly because I happened to find the cut pieces when I was looking for something else - I decided to finish up these twirly skirts I started from leftover linen pieces from baby slings. (These were also cut and then put into time out when the serger was misbehaving, but it's been behaving so beautiful for these that I'm thrilled!) I had decided some lace overlays on the middle tier would make them more fun for a little girl than just a plain linen skirt.

First up, the olive linen. This picture doesn't quite accurately represent the color, but it's close. I paired it with a light silver lace. The waist is pretty bulky, because I didn't want to try gathering the lace onto a shorter tier, but it'll work for a child. And instead of doing a double-layer ruffle to avoid hemming, I used the same binding that I had used on this sling. It's a black with grey music symbols. I had enough of this left that the skirt was fairly full.




Both the teal linen and the pink binding were from slings as well, but not from the same sling. Yikes! I actually had intended to use a silver binding on this (which I believe is the one I used on that baby sling), but I asked my niece's preference, and she wanted the "crazy pink." Yes, ma'am! (The "crazy pink" was the binding for a black linen sling, for one of my work buddies.) I didn't have as much of this left, so the skirt isn't as full, and I cut the ruffle at half the length of the olive one. But it's still cute and twirly, and hopefully my niece loves it!


Just for fun, I also bound the raw edge of the waistband, instead of folding it under. To avoid a ton of bulk from the edges coming together, I applied the binding to the waist edge, then serged both sides of the skirt, then stitched them together, and then pressed the seam open. I also stitched it down to either side of the seamline. I think it made it look really nice inside.



Next up? Appliqued shirts!

No comments: