Saturday, May 9, 2020

Twirly dresses!

So once upon a time, almost three years ago, I made my niece a twirly dress. It was the Madison pattern from Made for Mermaids, and there's the Dolly Madison matching pattern for 15 or 18" dolls. (My niece has an 18" Our Generation doll from Target.) I made the prototype out of random bright fabric I had on hand, intending to then make the next ones probably from Nemo fabric, and then who knows after that.....But my serger didn't want to play nicely with making ruffles, and so I had to hand gather miles of ruffles, and I never got past the prototype, even though she loved it. 

But then a few months ago I got a message that her twirly dress was getting too small, and she was sad and wanted a new one. Which made me decide that, yes, I should finally get around to that. But I still put it off a bit, and then finally bit the bullet. It was at this crazy point that I decided to make TWO Nemo dresses instead of trying to decide which print to use for the bodice vs the skirt. Thank goodness my serger decided to give me a break and produce awesome ruffles this time!

These are size ten, midway between tea and maxi-length (I think I just went maxi on the doll dresses), and I tried out the piping instead of waist ruffle. I really like how the piping looks, but I'll ask my niece what she thinks before another one appears.

I do my ruffles double layer so I can avoid hemming them. ;) I also think it gives a bit more weight to the hem, so that maybe they won't flip up as much. I really like how these turned out and hope my nieces loves them!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are absolutely adorable. I love that you are able to make a matching doll dress for her. She must be thrilled.