Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Some shopping and some annoyances....

So I've really used the Kwik Sew Sewing for Toddlers book for Thing 1. And I would definitely argue that I've gotten my money's worth out of it, with all the pants, shorts, shirts, and PJs I've sewn. Unfortunately, he's getting big enough that it is time to start exploring other patterns to make said items. The current shorts pattern (size T4) still works, but the pants are looking as though the next growth spurt will do them in. (And I think we're about to hit a growth spurt, judging from his food intake these days.) Yes, I could just lengthen the pattern, but I've already done that. And I don't know if he'll outgrow the width, too.

Hancocks carries KS patterns, and there was a 10% off the entire purchase coupon for Monday. Guess where I went? :) Big surprise, I'm sure. Actually, the surprise was on me - apparently KS does not have any pants patterns for boys until they hit about size 8. Seriously not cool! So I bought KS 3042, a PJ pattern, in hopes of being able to modify the pattern to use as regular pull-on, elastic waist, side-seam pants. I have the first pair cut and partly sewn, so we'll see how that goes. I also bought 3043, a T-shirt pattern, and 2894, a raglan sleeve shirt pattern - both are Kwik Serge patterns. I don't know how quickly I'll try those out.

So on my sewing table right now is the trial pair of 3042 plus a size T1 pair from KS SFT, for Thing 2. Both are cut from a pirate-themed pucker print from JAF. If they turn out well and fit reasonably, I'll cut a second pair for each from a second print. And I may have enough fabric left from both prints to cut shorts for a friend's little boy for his birthday, we'll see...

Then I really need to cut out the shirt I've been promising my husband for months....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have paid off handsomely! Too have got some denims & trousers from Rochester Big and Tall & saved $40, it's also a worth purchase.