Wednesday, February 20, 2013

FD Emmy dress

My niece turned one in December, and I had asked my sister-in-law ahead of time if there was anything in particular she needed for her.  One of the answers was dresses!  Fishsticks Designs had a top/dress pattern (Emmy top & dress) out in the past, which I'd heard good things about (and I love their patterns in general - especially the Patrick Curved Raglan tee!), and they were bringing it back for a week as a digital pattern.  After sending my SIL the link and getting the nod of approval, I quickly bought both sizes of the pattern.  (No messing around here.  I've made over 2 dozen PCR shirts for my boys, so I figured that these patterns have staying power!)

Since I wasn't sure of sizing, I made the Christmas dress in the 6-12 month size and the barnyard animals in 12-18 month.  I think they turned out really cute!  I heard later that the 12 month size fit best then, but I haven't heard anything since.  The solid knits were remnants from other projects, and the Christmas knit was the interlock version of the velour I used last year for the boys' Christmas pajamas.  The barnyard animals knit was a lucky find in a thrift store - it had been sewn together double-layer as a some sort of table mat or nightstand cover or something.  Anyway, I brought it home, unpicked the stitches, and had yardage to play with.

As with all of the FD patterns, the instructions were very clear, with lots of pictures, and the pattern came together easily.  This one has a front bodice, back bodice, skirt, and sleeve piece to cut, along with the neckband and sleeve cuffs.  I was very happy with these and will definitely make more for my niece (and any other little girl who "needs" a new dress!).



No comments: